Perched on the edge of the Sussex Downs, Foredown Tower is a beautifully converted Edwardian water tower. Housing the largest operational camera obscura in the South East - a unique optical device that is used to observe the surrounding landscape, sun and sky.
A highlight of a visit is to climb the tower to the viewing room which gives outstanding views over the surrounding countryside and across the Channel.
The Tower is also the perfect starting point for a walk on the Downs. There is a small café for tea, coffee and ice cream and a peaceful garden.
We run a variety of courses see link www.portslade.org
Please note that camera demonstrations are dependent on the weather being clear.
Wheelchair access to ground floor only, toilet adapted for wheelchair users. (No access to the camera unfortunately).
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult - for camera||£2.50 per ticket|
|Child - for camera||£1.50 per ticket|
Free to visit the building
Map & Directions
From the Old Shoreham Road - turn into Fox Way, turn right at the brow of hill then left along bridle path, tower is on the right.
Public Transport Directions
Train: stops at Portslade, catch No 6 bus to Foredown Road at the stop outside Aldi.
Bus: No. 6 bus from Brighton Station or Churchill Squatre - to Foredown Road and then walk up the hill, cross Fox Way and follow signs.
- Groups Accepted - Please call before to ensure adequate support
- Countryside Setting
- In countryside
- Indoor Attraction
- No Smoking Attraction
- Outdoor Attraction - Pretty garden & picnic tables
- Wheelchair user accessible - Wheelchair access to ground floor only, toilet adapted for wheelchair users. (No access to the camera unfortunately)
Children & Infants
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
Parking & Transport
- On site parking
- Parking (free)
- Railway station within 5 miles
- On-Site cafe/restaurant - There is a small café for tea, coffee, ice cream & snacks
- Picnic area
- Approx length of visit - 20 minutes.
- Groups Accepted
- Max group size - 15-20 per demonstration - can split large groups in two
- Dogs Accepted - Only in the garden.
- Gay/Lesbian Friendly
- Groups by arrangement
- Groups welcome
- Educational Groups
- Family Fun
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted
- Guided Tours Available for Individuals
Travel & Trade
- Room/unit allocations available
- Wi-fi available
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.