and Madeira Drive (Concorde II)
Please adhere to all government guidelines currently in place, go to: www.visitbrighton.com/coronavirus-covid-19 for up to date city information
Grade 11 listed Victorian lift, now fully restored to its former glory. Originally opening in 1890, the lift links Marine Parade with Madeira Drive. In its heyday it carried thousands of visitors to the beach. The lift originally operated by a hydraulic pump and 15 people could be carried at any one time from Madeira Drive to Marine Parade for a charge of a halfpenny each way.
The present electrically powered lift cage carries only six people. The entrance to the lift resembles the Oriental design of the Royal Pavilion and the original lift cage was decorated with mirrors, gilt panels and medallions, with a glass roof.
Currently operated by the Concorde II venue on Madeira Drive, on behalf of Brighton & Hove City Council.
Map & Directions
Public Transport Directions
Local buses from the city centre stop nearby.
Tel: +44(0)1273 673311