Marriages & Civil Partnerships
Brighton & Hove is one of the most popular places in the UK for civil partnerships and on 29th March 2014, history was made as legislation allowing same sex marriages came into effect.
About civil partnerships and same sex weddings
Civil Partnerships were introduced in the UK in December 2005 and give same sex couples the same rights and responsibilities as straight couples who are married. A couple simply need to give formal notice in the area they have lived in for the previous 7 days, then wait a further 15 days before the ceremony can take place.
From 29th March 2014, legislation allowing same sex marriage also came into effect. One of the first same sex weddings took place in Brighton on this day in the Royal Pavilion Music Room.
You can also find out more about how to register for a civil partnership or wedding on the Brighton and Hove council website.
Brighton civil partnership venues
The venues below all have licenses for civil partnerships and same sex marriages. From the traditional to the decadent Brighton is pretty much guaranteed to make any civil partnership or wedding special.
Make things easy and do it all at the hotel, where catering is also usually available…
- Blanch House - intimate setting and atmosphere, seating up to 40 guests in the Belle Époque Suite
- The Claremont - prestigious 5 star guest accommodation that guarantees a spot of luxury
- Holiday Inn Brighton-Seafront - offers great views out to sea and literally moments from the beach
- My Brighton - 'a hotel where Freddie Mercury might have met the Maharishi'.
- Old Ship Hotel - a central seafront option offering immense character and a rich history
- Drakes Hotel - luxury boutique bang on Brighton's seafront
- Mercure Brighton Seafront - seafront hotel, minutes from the Lanes, theatres and attractions
- The Grand Hotel - Brighton's most famous hotel offers a prime seaside location
- Jurys Inn Brighton Waterfront Hotel - one of the city's larger options, this hotel overlooks the sea and backs onto the famous 'Lanes'.
If you'd prefer a hotel that caters specifically for gay and lesbian vistors, take a look at our Brighton LGBT hotels section.
Steeped in heritage, Brighton offers some fantastic venues for a civil partnership or marriage ceremony with a stylish or cultural twist…
- The Royal Pavilion - one of the most stunning and exotic buildings in the UK
- The Mayor's Parlour - part of the impressive Brighton Town Hall & moments from the beach.
- Brighton Dome & Corn Exchange - another architectural gem in the city centre.
If quirky is your thing or you just like to be a bit different, try one of these:
- British Airways i360 - Love is in the air; 162 metres to be precise! Get married with panoramic views over Brighton & Hove.
- Brighton Racecourse - high on the Sussex Downs, offering stunning views over Brighton & Hove and the English Channel.
- The Sussex County Ground - if you love sport, why not get hitched at the historic home of one of the country's oldest cricket clubs?
- Yellowave Beach Sports - a beachfront oasis, enjoy some sun and sand on your big day
- Brighton Pier - the famous pier and everything that comes with it.