Book Tickets Online
Volk’s Electric Railway is the oldest electric railway in the world. Opened in 1883, it was invented by Brighton-based engineer and inventor, Magnus Volk. The train carriages still run along the seafront today, and give passengers an authentic ride between Aquarium Station (near Brighton Palace Pier) and Black Rock Station (near the Marina). Making it a great way to reach the Brighton Marina for a fun day out.
Aquarium Station is part of the newly-built Visitor Centre. Here you will find more information about the history of the Railway and Magnus Volk, the man who invented it. Take the train to Halfway Station to see the Workshop, where you can see maintenance being carried out on the historic train carriages and find out more about how the Railway runs. Carry on to Black Rock to finish your journey near Brighton Marina.
The railway is now closed for the 2022 season. Thank you to everyone who has visited us this year. It will reopen again Easter 2023.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult return fare||£5.60 per ticket|
|Adult single fare||£4.35 per ticket|
|Child (age 3-14) return fare||£3.50 per ticket|
|Child (age 3-14) single fare||£2.70 per ticket|
|Senior Return||£4.35 per ticket|
|Senior Single||£3.05 per ticket|
|To Half Way Adult Return||£4.35 per ticket|
|To Half Way Adult Single||£2.70 per ticket|
|To Halfway Child Return||£2.70 per ticket|
|To Halfway Child Single||£1.85 per ticket|
Children under 3 free
- Accessible Lift - Madeira Lift near to Half Way Station.
- All Areas Accessible to Disabled Visitors - Wheelchairs must be folded to fit on trains.
- Disabled Parking - nearby (Madeira Drive).
- Disabled persons toilet - nearby at each end.
- Guide Dogs Permitted
- Parking Areas for Disabled Visitors
- Ramp/Level Access
- Wheelchair user accessible - provided wheelchair user is able to alight from wheelchair into train carriage and wheelchair is folded
- Cafe - nearby.
- Food Shop on site
- On-Site cafe/restaurant
- Outdoor eating area - nearby.
- Picnic area - nearby.
- Refreshments Available
- Take away food - nearby.
- Vegetarians catered for
Children & Infants
- Babes in Arms
- Baby changing - Near Half Way Station.
- Children’s packs
- Children's Meals
- Family Friendly, Children Welcome
- Outdoor children’s play area
- All weather attraction
- Beach / Coast within walking distance
- Beach/Coast 5 min walking distance
- Beer Garden
- Dogs admitted on a lead - max 1 per person.
- Dogs welcome
- Gift shop
- Groups by arrangement
- Groups welcome
- Guided tours - Occasional.
- Guided tours by arrangement
- LGBT Friendly
- Toilets - nearby.
Parking & Transport
- Coach parking - Nearby (Madeira Drive}.
- On site parking close by
- Parking (charge) - Nearby (Madeira Drive).
- Railway station within walking distance - Brighton Railway Station - 1 mile.
- Secure cycle parking
- Groups Accepted
- Special group rates
- In town/city centre - On the beach, east of Brighton Pier.
- Cyclists welcome
- Educational Groups - Occasional talks for school groups via prior arrangement.
- Family Fun
- Marketed Towards Children
- Marketed Towards Families
Tours and Demonstrations
- Demonstrations Given
- Educational Visits Accepted - Booking advised.
- Guided Tours Available for Groups
Travel & Trade
- Group discounts available
|2022 (1 May 2022 - 30 Sept 2022)|
|Saturday - Sunday||10:30||- 18:15|
|Bank Holiday||10:30||- 18:15|
* Open May to end of September including Bank Holidays.
- Regional and Miscellaneous - Visitor Information Point 2016
- Regional and Miscellaneous - WTTC Safe Travels 2021
TICKET / INFORMATION / GIFT SHOP [WHERE APPLICABLE]
ACCESS TO PUBLIC AREAS (Displays, exhibits, rides etc)
CAFETERIA / RESTAURANT
This information is self-assessed; therefore we accept no liability for its accuracy. Please contact the venue for further information.
The Brighton Zip is the longest zip line on the south coast and an amazing experience for…0.05 miles away
The Tunnel has been re-decorated to include a wonderful array of portraits of some of the…0.09 miles away
Bake Awake Baking School offers fun and easy recipes to bake while applying the…0.13 miles away
Discover a magical underwater world filled with a dazzling array of amazing creatures. …0.14 miles away
Come along and follow in the footsteps of the Victorians in a stroll along the pier, a…0.13 miles away
Britain's first beach sports centre and Brighton's only sandy beach.
We offer beach…0.15 miles away
Palace Pier is a 1,722ft long Victorian pier, located in the heart of Brighton and Hove’s…0.15 miles away
Situated opposite Brighton’s iconic palace pier, R-Bar is your favourite queer bar, with…0.16 miles away
A rock 'n' roll riot, a smashed sweet shop, and a secret undercover reporter create the…0.16 miles away
While there are plenty of reasons to see Brighton, most don’t realise one big benefit is…0.18 miles away
Pier Nine is Brighton’s new 24/7 venue that allows you to experience anything from…0.19 miles away
Bustling Brighton & Hove promenade is perfect for a leisurely stroll where you will could…0.19 miles away
For over 30 years, Club Revenge has been the South Coast’s # 1 LGBTQ+ nightclub; renowned…0.2 miles away
Alcotraz is an immersive theatrical cocktail experience of the highest kind. From your…0.21 miles away
The Brighton Walk of Fame is the first ever official walk outside of Hollywood .0.22 miles away
Brighton City Sightseeing will take you on a fascinating whistle stop tour of the city.…0.22 miles away